Conference on Tailings and Mine Waste
A conference on Tailings and Mine Waste was held from 17-20 November 2019 in Vancouver. The conference home page is here, which includes the list of presentations.
Presentations of particular interest for the SEESIMA project included:
- The effect of arctic conditions on the geochemical behaviour of sulfidic tailings (Gary Schudel) – article available here
- A new technique for measuring the reactivity of sulfidic ores and waste – infrared thermography (Marjan Knobloch)
- Environmental assessment of residues from field multi-step passive treatment of Fe-AMD: Case study of the Lorraine mine site, QC, Canada (Marouen Joini).
- Valorisation of phosphate mine wastes: the challenge of additional resource recovery from phosphate rock (Bernd G Lottermoser)
- Using Algae as cheap and efficient flocculation agent to quickly obtain clear water columns at pit lakes (Miguel de Lucas Parlo)
Otherwise, there were many presentations focusing on the physical and regulatory aspects of tailings dams.