Kirovsk Mining Museum educational resources
At the conclusion of the SEESIMA meetings in Apatity a visit was made to the JSC Apatit Museum in Kirovsk. This has impressively modern and comprehensive displays and education resources relating to the history of the region and the technologies for extraction of minerals from the local resources, in particular the operations of the JSC PhosAgro Apatit.
The Museum has a webpage which shows some of the content of the museum. The website also provides the possibility for taking a virtual tour of the museum.
- Hall 1: History of the PhosAgro group
- Hall 2: History of the JSC “Apatit” mine and processing
- Hall 3: Display of gifts received by the enterprise
- Hall 4: Details of the Khibiny Massif mineralogy
- Hall 5: Mineral resources of the Kola Peninsula
- Hall 6: Underground Mining
- Hall 7: Open-pit Mining
- Hall 8: Enrichment Department
- Exhibition hall: “Everyday life and customs of the Russian Empire”
- Clock tower: Display representing the different features of layers between the earth’s core and atmosphere.
At the time of our visit there were groups of school children and university students using the museum. It is a very useful resource for dissemination of information about the mining industry, and for highlighting for young persons the opportunities represented by the industry.